Saturday 20 June 2015

Oh! Daddy! My Daddy!



“One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” 
- George Herbert

I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much.” 
- Hedy Lamarr

“It is a wise father that knows his own child.”
  - William Shakespeare

 “Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad, and that’s why I call you dad, because you are so special to me. You taught me the game and you taught me how to play it right.” 
- Wade Boggs

Is today the third Sunday of June?
As I walk up early today with a big yawn, I suddenly realize something is different today. The sky is clear and the weather’s quite fine. But in my heart, I really knew something is missing. I wanted to go back to sleep and wake up again morrow. For I finally realize I have no father to celebrate Father’s Day. Should I forget this day forever? Or should I omit this date from the calendar?

They said I once had a father, but why is that I never had a chance to call him, dad? Why is that I never remember calling a man my ‘daddy’?
Today, sadly, I realize I will never have a chance to call somebody my real, real ‘Daddy’.

They said I once had a father who has a beard, but why is that I never had a chance to say ‘That’s my father’? Now, I don’t know how to mimic my father’s beard though I’ve grown up a lot.
They said I once had a father who was a fine footballer, but why is that I never had a chance to be told ‘This is how you should play’? Now, I have to sat on the bench and watch my friends play.
They said I once had a father who is not so handsome, but I won't care about what he looks. I would happily hug him tight today and say ‘Thank You, Dad, for being the best dad in the world!’

Today, I’m being told that my father died when I was too young to understand a word. I was not even able to pronounce a single word then. Now, my mother told me that until I become a father, I would never know how much a father loves his child because I never had a chance to realize how much my father loves me.
Today, I remember being battered by my friends who has father.
Today, I remembered, in my naughty year, I was being told to do things I do not like.
Today, I remembered, I used to envy on my friend’s toy silently and envious who go fishing with their father.
Today, I remembered, I used to do a father’s work while my friends were playing in the street. That day, how I wish I could go out and play with them.
Today, I remembered, I used to go to school early and alone because I'm terrified my friends would tease me on the way.
Today, I remembered, I returned home crying because my classmate had hid my school bag.
Today, I realize how precious a father is.


My friends were ransacking shops to buy a perfect gift for their fathers. I sat at home alone sad for I ain't nowhere to go. They were searching for a beautiful word to say to their fathers today. I have this sad sad story to tell you.

I lament that in my lifetime, I would never say this beautiful word ‘Daddy’ to any person until I can satisfied hearing it from my child. But when? 

On this day, to whom should I say ‘Thank You!’

I knew I have no such enthusiasm to celebrate but still…. for you, I'm celebrating father’s day today, my dear friends.

Happy Father’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment